Wednesday, May 24, 2017

What no one tells you about the struggles of Chronic Illness

John and I were sitting on the patio talking last night and he asked me "what I want to accomplish this summer?" I thought about it a minute and said I think I need to work on contentment.

The dictionary definition is:
con*tent*ment
The state of being contented; ease of mind. A mental or emotional state of satisfaction maybe drawn from being at ease in one's situation, body and mind. Colloquially speaking, contentment could be a state of having accepted one's situation and is a milder and more tentative form of happiness.

As I've mentioned in a previous blog post I've recently come across information concerning my medical issues. This has rocked my world and changed the playing field. I'll go into more detail explaining it all on another blog post. It overwhelms me to get it down on paper.  I’ve tried but I need to get my thoughts clear enough to explain it. I’ve waded through mountains of research but have trouble explaining what I've learned.


Back to contentment. I'm striving to be content in where I am. I'll be honest with you it's been a rough couple months. I've been dealing with anger, frustration, grief and depression. Because there is no CURE or TREATMENT for Fluoroquinole Toxicity Syndrome (FTS) I am struggling my way through accepting that this is the best I will be from now on, there’s a very real possibility of complications and getting even worse. I now know that I will never be able to do the physical things that I used to do with ease, because of the damage done to me is permanent. I have to come to terms with these things – these limitations. That’s the crux of the problem right there.  That's where my brain shutters to a halt and screams at me "wait, what? wait, no that can't be right." “These limitations.” Just those two little words sends chills up my spine.  I need to turn my thinking around to one of acceptance. Acceptance of my current condition - which I cannot change - and I need to have a realistic understanding of my future prospects. I need to be at peace with what I cannot, but, more importantly what I CAN do. Sounds so easy doesn’t it? The voice in my head is snapping "well it's NOT!" lots of foot stomping and failing of arms going on also. 

I find I am grieving for the lifestyle I used to have ... free of chronic pain. Having clear thinking and feeling strong and able to work, being able to leave the house, to go places, to visit with friends and family. To be able to think clearly enough to have a conversation and to be able to track with conversations going on around me. To be able to cook, clean my house or even dress myself without help. Be able to go to the store, a concert, movie or even to drive - these are all things I've had to give up as a result of FTS.

I've been on a roller coaster of anger, frustration, wrestling with how it's not fair and lots of depression, and bouncing back-and-forth between all of them. (Poor John, he's been supporting me through it. He gets Husband of the year for sure.)

But, back to that contentment thing. I need to accept that this is where I am, and this is how it will be - short of the Lord healing me - from now on.

We decided we will spend the Summer tackling some projects around here to make the house safer.  Brainstorming ways to make it easier for me to do the things I need to do. Laundry, cooking, getting into and out of my bed safely.  Grab bars in the shower, widening the front sidewalk. 

Because my tendons and muscles were damaged it's difficult for me to reach above shoulder height. Since I'm short in stature lol, this presents a real problem. I'm finding it difficult reaching into the upper cabinets of the kitchen. If I have anything with any weight at all in my hands a plate, a mug even hanging a shirt on the closet pole is extremely painful. Not being able to reach anything above shoulder height I'm finding out is indeed very limiting. Do you realize how often you reach UP for something?  A step stool seems the obvious solution but I have trouble with balance so I'm not sure that's a safe choice. I'm open to any suggestions, some of these challenges really have us stumped. We recently downsized to a smaller home to make it easier for me.  (A very good move on our part with the info we now have on my medical condition) but we do not have the room to move everything out of the upper cabinets and use only the lower ones. 

So we will take the summer making the house safer and easier for me to live in, especially when John is not home.  We need to figure out some areas where I am having difficulty so I will be able to maneuver through a day on my own. For example, when I am having a bad brain fog day, how to turn on or off the heat and air. How to use the microwave, make a cup of coffee. All things I used to do without thinking about, things I took for granted.


That's all well and good, but back to the contentment, I need to find. I know for my own mental health I need to be content. I need to accept where I am. I need to accept my limitations, I need to have a positive attitude, and I need to get back to where I can see the good in things. I NEED TO LET GO OF THE ANGER, I need to let go of the frustration, and I need to find joy! I know it means that I won’t get back to where I "used to be." But I can still make progress! There are still amazing things I was meant to do. I know I was put here for a purpose and I can't get distracted with all the physical limitations. With the emotional trauma.  I need to dig deep and find perseverance and strength.

So this summer, there are lots of projects around the house to get done. But the hardest job, MY biggest job, will be contentment! Working through the grieving and being content.

Being able to honestly say Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say It is well, it is well with my soul. 


Oh, I forgot to tell you my second book in the series Coloring Therapy is available on Amazon!!! That just shows you how much I've been struggling. I'm so excited to have not one, but two books on Amazon and forgot to let any know? lol

Do you know of someone struggling to accept something they cannot change? I'd love to hear from you. 

If you like this post please subscribe. On the right bar Put your email under "follow by email". I won't spam, abuse, or share it. 


You can purchase my Coloring Notebook/Journal (Coloring Therapy) (Volume 1)

here:  http://amzn.to/2jeGh26

or my Easy Mandala: Notebook Journal (Coloring Therapy) (Volume 2)
here: http://amzn.to/2pOlq7Z


Check out my Facebook Fighting Through The Fog 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/755116634637922/?ref=bookmarks


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees my advertising and linking to Amazom.com. The small percentage I may earn off your purchase costs you nothing extra.

No comments:

Post a Comment